1 week ago
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Hangin' out with the cows
My sister and I took our kids to Idaho this weekend! We visited my grandparents in Franklin, then headed to Fairview to see my great aunt's dairy farm. We city gals just loved learning about this country way of life.
This is where all the calves are kept. The kids loved trying to pet them.
Within a day or two of being born the calves are taken from their mothers. I really have a hard time with this, but it is necessary. They need to milk the mommas, and the calves are bottle fed. Check out those eyelashes!
All the kids had a turn to feed the calves.
I love this old, rustic barn, it was built in 1920. This dairy has been in their family for a long time, 4 generations!!
These little boys were in heaven, they loved to explore. This is where they keep the pregnant and injured cows, separated from the others.
The kids loved going for a ride on the four wheeler. Behind them you can see the cows lined up waiting for their turn to be milked. They milk them at 2:00 am, then at 2:00 pm. The cows can't wait to be milked, as most of you out there know, it can get uncomfortable!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
How fun! It's not everyday you get to feed a baby cow! I love old barns like that too. Very nostalgic.
Looks like so fun! Hopefully we can all go up there together one day! I have still haven't been up there:(
Miss you guys!
I miss you. You are such a cute family. Hope to see you soon and hang out.
Your always doing such fun stuff with your kiddos....You go GIRL!
Post a Comment