Homemade yogurt anyone? My healthnut sister introduced this to me. It is a little ironic how you use yogurt to make yogurt but this is really good. It is more like a dessert custard or something of that nature, but the good news is, is that it is good for you! Active cultures are great for your health. Many years ago on my mission, I remember the mission nurse told us to eat a yogurt a day which would help us to keep from getting sick. So eat up!
1/2 gallon of milk
2 C dry powder milk
1 C sugar ( you can use 1/2 C also if you want less sugar)
1 T vanilla
6-8 ounces of plain yogurt with active cultures
Turn oven on to 110 degrees or as low as it will go. Heat milk to 180 degrees to sterilize milk. Take temp. down to 110 degrees.(Fill sink with ice water and bathe bowl of milk.) Whisk remain ingred. Fill mason jars or glass cups with yogurt and wrap with towels so they are nice and cozy. Put in oven and turn heat off. Turn oven light on and leave for 8 hours or overnight.
1 month ago
1 comment:
I love homemade yougurt! My dad had a yougurt maker with little 6 ounce jars and would make it and then we would add what we wanted to the plain yougurt like jam or maple syrup... So I recently got my self one of these makers and my kids love the homemade yougurt. I will definately try this recipe. I have never tried it in the oven.Thanks for the recipe!
Post a Comment