Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Good Read


One of the many things I want for my children in life is to be kind, respectful, obedient children who love the gospel. A few months ago I felt like I was struggling as a mother in reaching this goal. My mom gave me this book for Mother's Day, and I dove right in! I LOVED IT! It has so many great helps, especially for teens. I have attended a couple of Randal Wright's seminars at BYU's Education Week in the past. I would end up walking away with pages of notes. He is one smart cookie, and I really respect his ideas.

In this book he points out some of the effects of the media and peer pressure on young people and shows how forces at work in our society are undermining and weakening the family. "The media are very powerful tools that can influence people for good or evil," he writes. "But the tools themselves are not the problem. It is how they are being used." Families in Danger presents specific ways in which familes can fortify themselves and learn to live a gospel-centered life in an X-rated world.

No comments: